I did an introduction to the idea of Missional Community for the Mission Theology, 2nd year subject of Praxis Victoria today. Here are some dot points and links which are pretty relevant and current for me as I am about to begin working on a renewal project at Newmarket Baptist Church…
What is Missional Community?
Understanding the Missio Dei… The Kingdom of God is like... imagination/parable exercise with your placement. What does a ‘kingdom community vision’ look like for the people you serve beyond your personal involvement? We often engage in Christian ‘mission’ work without any idea of the community we are seeking to become or participate in. What is our idea of ‘the church’? We should not be surprised at the odd looking baby that sometimes gets birthed!!! The study of church is called ‘ecclesiology’… Ekklesia was not a religious word but simply a term that described a gathering of community leaders at the city gate in Greco-Roman world. I like this video below on what church is and isn’t…
Mission Minded vs Missional : from Shaped by God’s Heart: The Passion and Practises of Missional Churches by Milfred Minatrea
- Sending/ Supporting vs. Being/Doing
- Representative vs. Participative
- One expression of its ministry vs. The essence of its existence
1.End of Christendom
2.Rise of Postmodernity
3.Post-colonialism: ‘Missionary Grow Home’ Bringing lessons from the 20th Century Mission Movement back home to enculturate the gospel amidst the sub-cultural fragmentation of the ‘dominant’ Western culture.
David Bosch (wiki) uses Thomas Khun’s paradigm theory to summarise the history of Christian mission and suggest the context in which we currently find ourselves…
- The Apocalyptic paradigm of primitive Christianity
- The Hellenistic paradigm of the patristic period
- The medieval Roman Catholic paradigm
- The Protestant Reformation paradigm
- The modern Enlightenment paradigm
- The emerging ecumenical paradigm.
Missional vs. Attractional
How do you feel about this video?
Mike Frost on Missional versus Attractional models…
Missional Community Simple
Missional Church Simple
Mendicant’ vs. ‘Monastic’ The role of Religious Orders in the historical renewal of the church.
Alan Hirsch Dynamics: The Forgotten Ways
2. Missional Incarnational Impulse
4. Apostolic Environment Ephesians 5 and the need for diverse leadership dynamics
5. Organic Systems, Vision to Change the World, De-centralised Network Structures, Reproduce-able Starfish…
Missional Community in different Western contexts: eg. USA and emergent village; UK Johnny Baker and alt. worship movement; Australia/NZ: Forge and small missional groups… similarities and differences…
Gender, Race and Class
Does emphasis of ‘communitas’ minimise its dependence upon ‘community’ and the interconnection between each?
Is the response to Christendom and ‘attractional’ style churches too negative?
Is missional community movement too wedded to post-modernity? Does it have a deep enough critique of post-modernity?
How many missional community experiments have sustained and why? Is this important?
Does missional community movement embrace the symbols of post-modernity but swallow the dominant culture of late ‘hyper-modern’ capitalism?… Does missional community movement have a deep enough understanding of kingdom economics, politics and justice to build sustainable models of community?
Wendell Berry suggests all culture is ultimately connected to agri-culture. How we produce and consume. We can do church differently but does it matter if we all still shop at the same supermarkets? I explore some of these ideas in my essay Missionary Grow Home.
Skills for Missional Leaders
Scott Boren emphasises an ‘ordinary person’ approach to successful missional leaders…
1. Focus on what God is doing and get their eyes off of their efforts.
2. Participate in God’s restoration project, not just the growth of their group.
3. Lead out of their strengths, rather than trying to fit into a preconceived mould of what an ideal leader should look like.
Specific skills include…
- Hear the Call beyond ‘Connecting Community’ to ‘Missional Community’
- Focus on Character Formation, Not Just Leadership Actions
- Lead with a Team
- Develop Basic Small Group Skills
- Gather around the Presence of Jesus in the Midst
- Make Time to Waste Time
- Be Present in Your Neighborhood
- Prepare to Fight
- Work Together to Create Missional Synergy